The first location of Lovely Hula Hands was located in a house, originally built in 1910, in the N. Mississippi area of Portland. The house had suffered substantial neglect. The project required a change of occupancy from Single Family Residence (R3) to Restaurant (B). The building design then incorporated an addition to house a compact, efficient kitchen and a new, wheelchair accessible ramp that complemented the style of the original house. The design of the two level restaurant was kept as simple and open as possible so that the artistic owners could display their fabulous collection of vintage "everything".